The Miracle Hunter  

Icons 1800 - 1899 A.D.

40 - 999 1400 - 1499
1000 - 1099 1500 - 1599
1100 - 1199 1600 - 1699
1200 - 1299 1700 - 1799
1300 - 1399 1800 - 1899

April 3, 1803

Maisières / Grandchamps (France)

Title: Our Lady of the Oak
Cecile Mill (Oct 16, 1789 - July 13, 1835)

A devout young boy, Cecile Mille made his first communion in the year 1803. One day, leaving the church immediately he went home. Passing near an oak tree the boy saw, to his surprise, the Mother of God stopping between two lights. After a few minutes the statue disappeared. When the child narrated this incident to their parents, they wanted to go to the site to ascertain the truth of the apparition. Once at the Oak at first they did not see anything, but on closer examination they found in a hollow oak was a statue of the Mother of God that was lost long ago. The news spread rapidly and people began to venerate the statue there. Then a church was built dedicated to Mary and Our Lady of the Oak became a popular place of pilgrimage, which is still very popular. On the morning of April 3, 1803, in the Valley of the Loue near Ornans, about 20 km from Besançon, Cecile Mille saw "a beautiful, tall lady dressed in white, accompanied by four little girls also wearing white clothes, each carrying a lit candle. This beautiful lady continued walking all the way to the 'Oak of Our Lady'"... On August 15, 1803, Cecile and a few others saw two "lights" that were coming out of the Oak of Our Lady near the lower branches. A closer inspection led to the discovery of a 19 cm clay statue of the Virgin with Child, dating from the 17th century.

Source: Hierzenberger 1997 p 187

More about this apparition >


Leipzig / Lichen (Poland)

Title: Our Lady of Lichen (portrait)
Tomasz Klossowoski

In the battle of Leipzig, a Polish soldier, Thomas Klossowski, was seriously injured. He prayed fervently to Mary so that his suffering would be mitigated. One evening at sunset, the Virgin appeared to him in tears with a golden robe and a crown of gold. She protected him, holding him tightly to her chest, the white eagle, the symbol of Poland, and promised the soldier his imminent healing and return home. Our Lady also asked him to find a paintings where he was portrayed as she had appeared. Once found, the portrait should be hung on the wall of a church as an object of veneration. Klossowski the soldier soon returned home to his country, in Lichen. In 1836 he found the portrait hung in a chapel in the woods. Since then, he was venerated as miraculous. Thomas died in 1848.

Source: Hierzenberger 1997 pp 187-188

More about this apparition >>

April 19, 1825


Title: Our Lady of Treinta Y Tres (statue)
Feast Day:
Second Sunday of November

The small image of the Virgin of the Thirty Three is a wood carving is thirty-six centimeters high originating in the Jesuit missions. The image was made in one of the Guarani workshops that flourished in these famous missions. It is a baroque carving of the Assumption of the Virgin, whose cloak and robes seem to move becasue of their many pleats.

Around 1779 the image was placed in the chapel that the Jesuits looked after in the village of Pintado and later, when the entire village moved to what is now the city of Florida, the residents took with them the beloved image before which their ancestors had prayed.

On April 19, 1825, thirty-three orientals, Uruguayan patriots, landed on the beaches of the Agraciada to commence the liberation of their country. When they reached Florida, they went to the small church and placed the future of the new nation at the feet of the Virgin. National Independence is proclaimed on August 25, and the members of the Constitutional Court having signed the Act of Independence, present themselves again before the image and place their nascent country under her protection.

Ever since, the natives have called this image La Virgen de los Treinta y Tres (The Virgin of the Thirty Three). On August 25, 1975, on the 150th anniversary of its independence, the Uruguayan nation officially declared this image of the Virgin and the church where it was venerated "Historic Monuments."

Since 1857, "The Liberator of Uruguay" has a gold crown with precious stones, a gift of the second leader of the Thirty Three, who later became president of the Republic. The disproportionate size of this crown - an extraordinary gold work - has become the distinctive feature of this Marian image.

The image was crowned canonically in 1961 by a concession of His Holiness John XXIII, who the following year proclaimed her officially "Patroness of Uruguay."

The solemnity of "Our Lady of the Thirty Three" is celebrated on the second Sunday of November with a pilgrimage to her shrine from every part of the nation.

Source: University of Dayton



Title: Our Lady of the Miracle (crying statue)

A stone statue of the Blessed Virgin, Our Lady of the Miracle of the twelfth century, which was placed in the chapel of the Daughters of Charity, near the church of Saint Lazaire, was seen to weep profusely. The statue cried so hard that the Mother Superior had to wipe away the tears with a tissue first and then with a large cloth.

Source: Hierzenberger 1997 p 192


Rimini (Emilia Romagna)

Title: Our Lady of Mercy (miraculous painting)

In May and June, the painting of the Madonna called Our Lady of Mercy beloved gave miraculous signs. A group of devotees saw the eyes of Mary move. At the same time some miraculous healings manifested.


Lichen (Poland)

Title: Our Lady of Lichen
Mikolaj Sikatka (+1857)

She appeared to a poor shepherd, Mikolaj Sikatka, in 1850 who promoted her devotion. She foretold of a cholera epidemic and interceded for the healing of many who sought her help.


In 1850-52, a period when Poland was partitioned between Russia and Prussia, Mikolay Sikatka often went to pray before a portrait of the Madonna found by Thomas Klossowski (see Leipzig, 1813), in the Marian chapel in the woods. The pastor Mikolay, a very pious man, one day saw the Blessed Virgin Mary before the portrait and she commissioned him to exhort the people to recite the rosary and to contemplate the sufferings and death of the Lord. In a second appearance, she reconfirmed the appointment and left a special message to the priests, urging them to celebrate and keep in mind the great value of the Mass. On the third appearance the shepherd saw Mary wrapped in a red robe and a white mantle with a precious crown. The Blessed Virgin spoke of conversion and the fate of Poland, the rebirth of the nation, but the first that a war would happen and an epidemic with millions of victims. Then the Virgin disappeared with these words: "The peoples of the world will marvel when their hopes for peace depend on Poland." The shepherd seer had to suffer much when he informed the authorities, and he was even arrested and tortured in prison. However, when cholera spread and claimed many victims, the messages and apparitions that the pastor had reported, were carefully screened by the ecclesiastical authorities and declared true. In September 1852, the special commission had carried the miraculous painting of Lichen in the church, the procession carrying the portrait of the Madonna in the church was attended by more than eighty thousand faithful. Some years later, to accomodate the great movement of Marian devotion (worship was carried out in penance and was characterized by a national spirit), a shrine was erected, where the miraculous painting of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God was transferred to.

The seer died in 1857, his body was found incorrupt even forty years later. The September 15, 1967, Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski, who when he was still a student when he received the grace of a miraculous cure before the picture of Our Lady, celebrated the coronation portrait of the Blessed Virgin Mary in front of one hundred and fifty thousand pilgrims.

More about this apparition >>


Rimini (Emilia Romagna)

Title: Our Lady of Mercy (miraculous painting)

In May and June, the painting of the Madonna called Our Lady of Mercy beloved gave miraculous signs. A group of devotees saw the eyes of Mary move. At the same time some miraculous healings manifested.

Source: Hierzenberger 1997 p 204


Puerto Rico

Title: Our Lady of the Divine Providence (statue)
Feast Day: November 19

The name and devotion to Our Lady of the Divine Providence originated in Italy in the thirteenth century. It was a very popular devotion which later passed to Spain, where a shrine was built in Tarragona, Catalonia.

When Gil Esteve Tomas, a Catalan, was named bishop of Puerto Rico, he brought with him this devotion which he had become acquainted with during his seminary years.

The bishop had to place his diocese in the hands of Divine Providence, for he found the cathedral nearly in ruins and the finances of the diocese in similar condition. The bishop's trust and work bore fruit quickly; in less than five years the cathedral church had been restored, and immediately devotion to the Virgin of Providence was established there.

The original image, venerated by the Servants of Mary, and other Italian religious orders and saints, was a beautiful oil painting in which the Virgin is shown with the Divine Child sleeping peacefully in her arms. The title "Of Divine Providence" has been attributed to St. Philip Benicio, fifth superior of the Servants of Mary. On a day when his friars had nothing to eat, having invoked the help of the Virgin, he found, at the door of the convent, two baskets full of food whose origin could not be found.

The image that Don Gil Esteve ordered was carved in Barcelona according to the prevailing taste. It is a handsome seated figure, made to be dressed, and it was in the cathedral sixty-seven years, until 1920 when it was replaced by a magnificent all wood carving, which is the image of Our Lady of Divine Providence most familiar and best known to the Puerto Rican communities.

Mary leans over the Child, who in an attitude of complete trust sleeps peacefully on her lap. The Virgin's hands are folded in prayer while she gently supports her Son's left hand. The whole carving suggests tenderness, abandonment, devotion and peace.

Pope Paul VI, by a decree signed on November 19, 1969, declared Our Lady Mother of Divine Providence principal patroness of the island of Puerto Rico. In this document it was also decreed that the Virgin's solemnity be transferred from January 2 to November 19, the day that the island was discovered. The intention was to join together the two great loves of the Puerto Ricans: love of their gorgeous island and love for the Mother of God.

The oldest carving, which dates from 1853, was the one chosen to be solemnly crowned during the meeting of the Latin American Bishops Council (CELAM), that took place in San Juan de Puerto Rico on November 5, 1976. On the eve of this event, the image was vilely burnt in the Parish of Little St. Therese in Santurce. And in this condition, the image was crowned amid the emotion and tears of thousands of her children and in the presence of cardinals, archbishops and bishops from all Latin America.

The burnt statue was sent to Spain to be restored and is presently awaiting the construction of the projected grand national santuary, where it will be placad.


March 11, 1856

TAGGIA (Liguria)

Animated Statue of Mary

A statue of Mary was seen moving its eyes. Having appointed a commission of inquiry composed of other Italian bishops, July 1, 1856, the Bishop of Ventimiglia, Bishop Lorenzo Baptist Biale, officially recognized the miracle. The same Pope Pius IX authorized the coronation of the statue.


See also HIerzenberger 1997 p 205



Miraculous Icon

An icon depicting the Blessed Mother of God manifested healing powers. Many people who knelt and prayed in the depths of their hearts, imploring the mercy of God through the Virgin, suddenly were healed. The miraculous image was crowned and developed an devoted pilgrimage. After some time, a source of spring water was discovered in close proximity to with great healing powers.

Source: Hierzenberger 1997 p 219



Miraculous image

See also Hierzenberger 1997 p 216



Title: Our Lady of the Pope (animated painting)

Our Lady of the Pope (a painted image of the Virgin with the Trinity and Pope Pius IX) was seen by some believers to come alive. Meanwhile manifested miraculous phenomena in the surrounding area.

Source: Hierzenberger 1997 p 223

October 1872

New Pompeii (Campania)

Locutionist: Bl. Bartolo Longo (1841 - 1921)
Title: Our Lady of the Rosary (miraculous image)

Bartolo Longo, born February 10, 1841 at Laziano (Brindisi), he studied law in Lecce and Napoli. After finishing his studies, the young lawyer began to attend satanic circles. He became an ardent anti-clerical. But the Dominican father and devoted Radente Professor Vincenzo Pepe urged him to undergo aconversion and Bartolo began to recite the rosary even with devotional fervor. In October 1872, while praying, he heard a mysterious voice (perhaps of the Blessed Virgin Mary) said: "If you want to be saved you must strive to spread the cult of the Holy Rosary." Moved by this occurrence, undertook to build a church dedicated to the Queen of the Rosary and devoted himself to spreading devotion to the Rosary. First among the poor and the illiterate, for he was convinced that by means of the Rosary in their hearts they could learn the way of salvation in the life of Christ and the Madonna.

One day he was given a portrait of the Queen of the Rosary placed on the altar of the church of the village of New Pompeii. More and more people came to pray before it, is manifested through the first and miracles as a result of the mercy of the Queen of the Rosary. The influx of pilgrims continued to increase until it became necessary to a larger church. He immediately began the work. Bartolo Longo was blessed by grace. many visions and inspirations that helped to lead an intense charitable activity, apostolic and social and led to the realization of the construction of the church, to find and support offered for this purpose. Important miraculous events came to realize her commitment and her efforts. Bartolo Longo died at eighty-years in his small room in the orphanage next to the basilica. In this room he had retired to pray in recent years. He died holding a crucifix in one hand and rosary in the other, which was still wrapped in his fingers in eternal prayer to the Queen of the Holy Rosary. He was called "The Knight of the Queen of the Holy Rosary."

The portrait of the miraculous image of Mary was crowned by Pope Leo XIII with the celebration of 1887. The church has become a famous and revered shrine, which was consecrated in 1891. Bartolo Longo was beatified by Pope John Paul II October 26, 1980.

Saource: Hierzenberger 1997 pp 1872-1873



Title: Our Lady of the Cape
Three priests

Notre-Dame-du-Cap is most famous for two miracles. In 1879 the pastor instructed his congregation to pray the rosary in order to obtain ice to cross the river so that materials and tools could be brought to the site. Pieces of ice floated downstream from Lake St-Pierre, forming a “rosary bridge” across the St. Lawrence River. On June 22, 1888, three men were in the chapel in prayer when they witnessed the eyes of the statue open and close. News of the event quickly spread and the fame of the miraculous image spread. The feast day of Notre-Dame-du-Cap is celebrated on August 15th.



Title: Maria Bambina (miraculous statue)
Witness: Sr. Josephine Woinovich

The statue was made before 1730 by a Franciscan nun, who afterwards entrusted the image to others, so that during the ensuing years she eventually came into the care of the Sisters of Charity at Lovere, Italy. In 1866 these Sisters of Charity were requested to take over the management of the Hospital of Ciceri in Milan. In 1876 the waxen image was carried to their Mother House at Via Santa Sofia 13, where the Bambina has remained ever since. Throughout this period, the statue was exposed for veneration only on the 8th of September, the Feast of Mary's Nativity, but in 1884 Maria Bambina manifested her desire to reward those who honored her by their devotion to her Holy Infancy. One of the Sisters, Sr. Josephine Woinovich, due to paralysis in her arms and feet, was bedridden and in unbearable pain. On the 8th of September, Our Lady's Nativity, she begged Mother Superior to bring Maria Bambina and to leave the image near her overnight. The following morning the Mother Superior was inspired to take the image, so old, worn, and grayish colored, to the other sick Sisters in the infirmary so that they could venerate and kiss her. In the infirmary was a fervent Novice, Guila Macario, who was unable to move because of her serious illness, but who, overcome by her ardent faith, took the Maria Bambina into her arms and pleaded with her in tender and loving words for the grace of her recovery, if such was according to God's Holy Will. She was instantaneously cured, for such faith and confidence moves mountains! And at the very same time, the miraculous image itself underwent an amazing transformation from its former dull gray color to the warm flesh hues it has today, as can be seen, where she is enshrined in the Sanctuary of the Mother House in Milan. Many graces and miracles are attributed to the beautiful devotion to Maria Bambina, among them the recovery of Sister Josephine Woinovich herself. For this reason, the Sisters of Charity became commonly known as the Sisters of Maria Bambina.



Campocavallo (Italy)

Miraculous Statue

A statue of Mary was seen crying on the feast of Corpus Christi. Many people testified to this phenomenon. They carried out rigorous investigations of various commissions that recognized the phenomenon as a miracle.

Surce: Hierzenberger 1997 p 244

facebooktwitterrssyoutube Contact The Miracle Hunter





© Copyright 2015,
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy > Legal > is the best resource for miracles on the web. The site includes approval lists, visionary biographies, detailed apparition summaries, messages, official Church statements and a photo gallery.