The Miracle Hunter  

Crespano del Grappa, Borbiago (Italy) 1150


Traditionally Approved

40 - 999 1400 - 1499
1000 - 1099 1500 - 1599
1100 - 1199 1600 - 1699
1200 - 1299 1700 - 1799
1300 - 1399 1800 - 1899

Vatican Approved
Bishop Approved
Coptic Approved
Approved for Faith Expression
Apparitions to Saints
Unapproved Apparitions

Sanctuary of the Madonna del Covolo

On March 24, a young deaf girl was pasturing geese on a meadow in Borbiago, Italy, when she saw a
magnificent lady in a light so bright that the girl had to close her eyes.

The woman approached and placed her hands on one of the girl's shoulders, asking her (as only Mary could communicate to the deaf) to bring the local priest and indicate that he dig there. If he did, explained Mary, he'd find a marble statue, which should be carried in a solemn procession to the church and enshrined.

The girl apparently was able to complete the task and as in Castellammare de Stabia the excavation was very fruitful and indeed miraculous, volunteers soon striking something that gave forth a metallic sound. Digging deeper they uncovered a bronze bell. Within its cavity was the promised statue, which depicted Mary in a standing position with the Infant as usual on her left arm, His little hands fondling her right one. There were hundreds of lost or hidden images, all with stories, all with precious secrets, during this intense period.

Source: Spirit Daily. Retrieved October 13, 2010

Sanctuary of the Madonna del Covolo

Address: Via Madonna del Covolo 148 / Tel 0423/53.206 / Diocese: Padua
Calendar: Solemn celebrations on March 25, Annunciation, Easter Monday, the last day of May, the Feast of Roses, August 15, the Assumption, on 8 September, the nativity of the Virgin Mary, and patronal feast, Nov. 21, Our Lady of Health and December 8, Immaculate Conception.

Next to the shrine there is the House of Spirituality Santa Maria del Covolo, run by the Servants of Mary Sorrowful of Chioggia (telephone 0423.53.044).

The Sanctuary is located 600 meters on the slopes of Monte Grappa.

Towards the middle of the twelfth century, Our Lady appeared to a shepherdess of Crespano deaf-mute who, alone in the pasture with the sheep, during a storm had taken refuge in a cave (hence the name Covolo), where she was praying. The Virgin spoke to her and told her to go to Crespano to tell everyone that wanted a chapel in that place. The girl, who had heard for the first time in his life, did what she was told.

The first chapel dates back to 1300 and was enlarged in 1541 and 1605. The present building is the work of Antonio Canova May who built the new sanctuary of Covolo from 1804 to 1809, retaining the old church nestled in the north of the rock and built an elegant rotunda with an atrium supported by eight ionic columns.

In 1844 the present road was built with the help of several groups of volunteers from dozens of countries between the Brenta and the Piave. On Good Friday the following year, a boulder fell on Mount Shrine, and destroyed the sacristy and presbytery.

The statue was recovered intact in the valley. In the Valley of the Madonna, just south of the Sanctuary, is the source of Busi Three: this water has always been an object of great devotion, emerged to facilitate the construction of the first chapel. Along the three kilometers to go up to the Crespano Covolo were built in 1943 capitals of the fifteen Mysteries of the Rosary.

On the triangular pediment of the facade is placed a fresco depicting the apparition of the Virgin to a shepherdess. The entrance portal has a walnut, the work of crespanese Without Shield. Inside, the dome of the rotunda, we find the painting of the Glory of Angels of the priest Delmetrio Alpago

We find decorations of angels representing the Mysteries of the Rosary. In the chorus, after the four columns, you can see, above, the fresco representing the temple full of Alpago seen from the valley, with the blessing Crespano Virgin and the Nativity of the Virgin, considered his masterpiece. Also shown are the symbols representing the four Marian religious orders: the Dominicans, the Servite Order, Carmelites, Trinitarians.

The decorations are almost all of the first decade of the twentieth century. On the main altar is the statue of the Virgin miraculously remained intact after the collapse of the walls of 1845. On September 8,1923 it was solemnly crowned.

Cristina Siccardi

Source: magazine "Mary Help of Christians", November 2005,



facebooktwitterrssyoutube Contact The Miracle Hunter



© Copyright 2015,
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy > Legal > is the best resource for Marian Apparitions on the web. The site includes approval lists, visionary biographies, detailed apparition summaries, messages, official Church statements and a photo gallery.