The Miracle Hunter  

Miraculous Icons (1400 - 1499 A.D.)

40 - 999 1400 - 1499
1000 - 1099 1500 - 1599
1100 - 1199 1600 - 1699
1200 - 1299 1700 - 1799
1300 - 1399 1800 - 1899

c. 1400

Koblarn (Germany)

The Count of Ortenberg

The Count of Ortenberg was passing near a thicket when suddenly his horse stopped and refused to continue his run. The count came down to examine the animal, found in the leaves a small wooden statue of the Virgin. The statue got attracted pilgrims and the sick who came to pray before it for healing. Around 1400, the first chapel was built where the prodigious image was placed and then a larger church.



Valencia (Spain)

Title: Nuestra Señora de los Desamparados (Our Lady of the Forsaken) - miraculous statue

In the year 1380, ten pious men of Valencia resolved to devote their lives to rescuing and providing for abandoned children . They called their community "The Fraternity of Innocent Children and of the Mother of the Forsaken." They next wished to have a statue of Mary for their new establishment . Three pilgrim youths arrived at the door of the monastery, soliciting lodging for the night. They were hospitably received by the superior, who, in the course of the evening spoke to them about the wished-for statue. They told him they were sculptors by profession and, in reward for his hospitality, and for the honor and glory of Mary, the Mother of God, they would carve him such a statue as was never before seen in all Spain. They asked to be furnished with a block of marble, tools and provisions for three days, and to be left undisturbed during that time. They locked themselves up in a large room and amazingly not a sound of hammer or chisel was ever heard during the three days. On thej fourth day Father Gilaberto, opened the door, and to the astonishment of all, found no sculptors, but a lovely statue of Our Blessed Lady; at the same time the holy woman of the town was entirely cured of her paralysis and blindness. All were unanimous in the opinion that they were angels, since neither the tools nor victuals were touched by them, and the block of marble remained as when purchased. The happy news of the beautiful statue and its miraculous origin spread rapidly over the city. The statue came to be known as Nuestra Señora de los Desamparados. It is four feet high, the head a little inclined, the left arm, as usual, holding the Infant Jesus, while in the right is held a beautiful bouquet of silver. No person has ever been able to tell of what material the statue is composed.

The great number of jewels adorning this statue are very valuable, and serve to show the tender devotion and gratitude of the people for miraculous favors received. It was movedin the year 1489 as the Bishop and clergy, seeing the wonderful miracles worked there, and the throngs of visitors becoming so great, had it removed to the Cathedral Church. But Mary, the sweet Help of Christians, was not to be without a splendid temple for her wonder-working. The Count of Oropesa, Viceroy of Valencia in the year who was cured of plague in 1646 resolved to build a noble temple that would be a lasting monument of their devotion toward Her.



Warta, Bohemia (Czechoslovakia)

Miraculous statue
A young man

In the thirteenth century, according to tradition, Mary placed an ancient wooden statue in a chapel to increase the Marian devotion of believers. In 1425, the Mother of God appeared beside this statue, sitting on a stone and very sad, predicted the atrocities of the Hussites. The statue was then placed in the shelter during unrest and in 1647 placed in a new chapel.

May 1428


Visionary: Pietro Falco
Title: Madonna della Salute

May 20, 1428

Stia (Italy)

Visionary: A peasant
Title: Santa Maria delle Grazie


Penafrancia (Spain)

Title: Our Lady of Penafrancia
Visionary: Brother Simon Vela

Mary appeared several times to the Frenchman Simon Vela, a Marian devotee. In her appearances, Our Lady urged the devotee to seek an ancient icon, which had been buried many years ago because Moorish invasion. For five years the man tried without success to uncover the portrait. He found it in 1434, thanks to a miracle of Mary herself where light had fallen from heaven on the place where the painting was buried. Once it was unearthed, he realized that the portrait showed the first apparition of Mary that he received. In 1437 the Dominicans founded a convent in that place.


Marienbaum (GERMANY)

Title: Holy Mary of the Fountain (painting)
A paralytic shepherd

A pastor shepherd dreamt in 1430 of a large tree with the trunk in the form of steps, between the branches of which there was a picture of Mary. A voice urged the shepherd to look into the reality of this painting, andif he found it, he would be cured of his illness. Soon after, with the help of other people, he actually found the picture and was able to immediately move and walk. This event had a great resonance among the people who came to see and venerate the miraculous picture of the Virgin Mary. They tried to remove the painting from the tree to place it in a nearby church, but any attempt to extricate it from the branches proved futile. It was then in 1441 built a chapel near the tree and, next to it, a monastery to which he was also entrusted with the care of the pilgrims. In the eighteenth century the chapel was restored and transformed in the beautiful present church and the tree was custiodito inside the large bell override the facade.



Betharram Pyrenees (France)

Visionaries: children

Some children discovered a luminous statue of the Madonna in the area of Betharram, in the French Pyrenees to the west of Lourdes. The story belongs to the local tradition and is well attested: a child during a hike, broke away from other children to pick flowers along the Gave river. She had wanted to make an offering to the saints. But she fell into the river and was saved by the intervention of the Madonna who had meanwhile appeared to the other children. Several people went to the scene of the event pray to the Virgin. For years afterward, the area was the destination of many pilgrimages.


Neukirchen (Germany)

itness: Susanna Halada (statue)

Susanna Halada was a peasant who brought a statue of the Virgin Mary from Bohemia to Bavaria. She hid the sacred object in a cavity of a lime not far from Regensburg. In 1450 a Hussite fanatic found the statue and threw it in a well. Miraculously, the statue retook its place. Three times he repeated the same act, finally exasperated, the Hussite slashed the head of the statue that immediately bled. Faced with the supernatural phenomenon, the fanatic tried to escape, but the horse would not move at any cost. Then, trembling with fear, he knelt before the bleeding statue and sincerely asked forgiveness. The Hussite, then converted, returned numerous times to the site as a pilgrim.

April 30, 1464

GORGSONY, Pecs (Hungary)

Title: Mary Seat of Wisdom (bleeding image)

In 1961, the miraculous portrait of Our Lady of Grace, called Mary Seat of Wisdom, was found and restored. This painting, as reported by the news these days, he would have bled profusely from April 30, 1464 until May 18, 1464.

April 26, 1467


Title: Our Lady of Good Counsel (miraculous image)

In this place is venerated miraculous image of "Our Lady of Good Counsel." On April 25, 1467 the fresco was miraculously brought by the Angels of God to Genazzano in the neighborhood of Rome. Originally the painting was in Jerusalem, was then taken Shkodra to put it away from danger of the Muslims.

For two hundred years this painting was in Albania, but faced with the danger that was dishonored was resulted in a safer location. Many people, even popes and saints who have received abundant graces . Many artists have painted imitations of this image is miraculous but no one seems able to make an identical copy, the fact remains that it is venerated in many places. Despite having taken place
a few centuries, the original painting shows a still miraculously alive shine.

Sometimes it has been noticed by those who prayed in deep contemplation, that the face Madonna would not stay in the same position. Place of worship devotional is the shrine of Our Lady of Good Counsel.


Oñate, Guipúzcoa , Basque Country (Spain)

Title: Nuestra Señora de Aránzazu (miracuous image)
Feast: September 9

The name of the sanctuary, the place of the Virgin and is related to the legend of his appearance. In itself, the word arantzazu include "arantza" which translates as "thorn" and the suffix "zu" indicating "abundance" so comes to mean "abundance of thorns" and refers the existence of abundant thorny bushes in place.

Esteban de Garibay , in his Compendium of history and world history Chronicas all kingdoms d'Spain ( 1571 ) says that the Virgin appeared to a virgin named Mary in Datuxtegui. In the same book, however, gives another version, which is the best known. Garibay said that got this story from a witness who would have met a pastor named Rodrigo de Balzategui. This man said that he had discovered the small image of the Virgin with the child in her arms, hidden in a thicket of thorns, with a cowbell . Seeing he would have exclaimed:? Arantzan zu, which means "in the thorns?, You?"!.

This legend reappears in the first written history of the sanctuary by the Franciscan Gaspar Gamarra twenty years later (in 1648 ):

Llámasse Aránzazu good bascongado Cantabrian language as haverse ethimología of this holy image found in a hawthorn, which in this language is called Aranza and added the zu diction, and is in my opinion what happened in the mysterious discovery of this sovereign Daisy, filled with admiration the pastor, seeing such a beautiful and glowing image of Mary Most Holy that was a thorn throne of the heart's affections said: Arantzan zu, it's like dixera in Spanish: Vos, Lady, with Reyna de los Angeles, Mother of God, sinners lawyer, shelter afflicted, whom many worship and veneration is accrued when merecíais be as you are in heaven in throno of Seraphines, much more expensive and attractive than Solomon made for relaxation. You, Madam, in a hawthorn?

The image of the Virgin Atánzazu is a stone carving profile gothic simple design. On the right hand holds a ball symbolizing the globe and left holding the child sitting on the same side leg something sitting. It measures 36 cm and weighs 9 kg. Describe the face image as a "healthy village wide collar and generous chest." The child is not as well worked as the principal figure, has an air Byzantine and carrying a fruit in his left hand. It usually occurs on the trunk of a hawthorn and a cowbell next.



Zyrovic (Lithuania)

In 1470, the Virgin Mary to six pastors indicates where you can find ancient icon. The icon was discovered, according to the sources can not be verified,

Source: Gamba

November 1470

Badia di Cava (Italy)

Visionary: Gabrielle Cinnamo (shepherd)

One afternoon in November 1470, a shepherd Ponteprimario at Sunset, in the province of Salerno, named Gabriele Cinnamo, while he is tending the sheep with the young Dattilo Parito sees wandering around a cliff surrounded by Ivy, a lovely dove, which repeatedly comes out and falls into a bush grown in discrete height. Curious tries in vain to climb up the steep rock, but can not. The next day returns with a long ladder and a good ax to clean the brambles and bushes, and introduces the hole mate Dattilo with a lantern that can see a beautiful and spacious cave. The next night, however, while sleeping, Gabriel sees in a dream the Virgin Mary, who tells him: "Gabriel, leaving to others the care of the goats; edificami a chapel in the cave, and I'll always be your advocate." The next morning Gabriel was perplexed about what to do, it is a simple dream, but decided to personally inspect the cave. This is convenient, even if wet, to build a chapel. Do not spend many days, while grazing his flock and he is intent to weave wicker, sees a mysterious light in the cave and at the same time feels the same words that Our Lady had told him in a dream. Stunned by this clear and categorical command, decides to leave the herd, wearing a coarse habit, and start a new life, calling themselves Fra 'Gabriel. Then obtained the permission of the Abbot of the Benedictine Santa Maria de Olearia in Maiori, under whose spiritual jurisdiction is the territory, he builds an altar in the cave of the miracle dedicating it to the Blessed Virgin under the title of "advocate." The news of the miraculous event spreads like wildfire and soon, with the help of the people, is built at the top of the rock church with a bell tower and a few rooms for the convenience of pilgrims. These rooms were enlarged in 1508 and increased by the same Fra 'Gabriel, to satisfy the desire of seven of his fellow countrymen who want to give themselves to him as a hermit's life. This is the first group of many hermits who honor the Virgin until 1687, that is, until the coming of the Camaldolese of Monte Corona, who built a hermitage regular. The Camaldolese decorate the church with marble and precious furnishings, September 8, 1720 the church was consecrated and dedicated to SS. dell'Avvocata by the Bishop of Ravello and Scala, Bishop Warrior. In memory of the work of expansion and embellishment made by the Fathers Camaldolesi is placed on the center door a plaque that still today can be read in Latin. It recalls the discovery of the cave by means of a dove, and the construction of the primitive church in honor of B. Virgin Advocate, by Gabriel Cinnamo in 1475, enlarged and embellished by the children of St. Romuald in 1719.


August 31, 1484

Agres (Spain)

Witnesses: many people (miraculous statue)

July 16, 1493

Ottobeuren (GERMANY)

Title:"Our Beloved Lady of the Alders" (image)

The legend of "Our beloved Lady of the alders" tells it: a woman with a incurable disease found, buried in a ontaneto, a portrait of the Blessed Virgin Mary. the She had learned of the existence of the portrait by means of a dream. He prayed devotional fervor before the portrait of the Madonna and healed. The news spread quickly and saw many people with the hope of finding help. The farmer Jodok Mayer built a wooden chapel was built and soon even a church. the distribution of many indulgences between 1492 and 1500 shows how intense was the pilgrimage at that time. In 1803, following the secularization and the prohibition of pilgrimages, the miraculous image was taken to Augusta. the portrait was reported in 1835 in the renovated Benedictine convent and was placed in his original place.



Weeping Image

A picture of the Virgin Mary, painted in oil on a wall, suddenly began to weep. The incident caused a great sensation. In 1517, in that place was built a church and a portrait of the Mother of God became the object of worship.



Title: Nuestra Senora de la Casita (Our Lady of the Little House)
a young girl

She is very devoted to Mary. found a statue of the Virgin near Alexos. Soon after the discovery,the Virgin Mary appeared to her and urged her to build a chapel in that place with a hermitage. The statue bears the name of Nuestra Senora de la Casita.

April 29, 1494


Title: "Madonna of Holy Blood " (Painting)

In 1494, a wall of the church of the village of Kings, in a high mountain, a portrait of Mary was hit by a stone. The front of the Blessed Virgin bled profusely for twenty days. The case was carefully examined by the competent ecclesiastical authorities andfinally they recognized the miraculous aspect. The faithful flocked en masse to the foot of the portrait to pray. The pilgrimage to the "Madonna of Holy Blood" is still active.

More about this miraculous image >>


Mary Buchen, Würzburg (Germany)

Title: Madonna of Mercy (bleeding image)

A soldier, who was passing through a forest, saw a wooden portrait of the Madonna of Mercy set at a beech tree. As he was a strong opponent of Christianity, and especially the cult of Mary, he slashed the image. Just when he hit the painting, it began to bleed. The soldier regretted his action and went away - the place became a pilgrimage.

March 27, 1499

Rome (Italy)

Title: Our Lady of Perpetual Help (miraculous image)
Visionary: a young girl

A merchant stole the picture from its shrine on the island of Crete, miraculously weathered a tumultuous sea voyage, and finally brought it to Rome. There, before he died, he gave it to a Roman friend, begging him to have it placed in a worthy church which the friend neglected to do. Next Our Lady appeared to the little daughter of the family. "Go to your mother and grandfather," She commanded, "and say where the picture should be placed: in the church between the basilica of St. Mary Major and that of St. John Lateran."

In solemn procession, on March 27, 1499, it was carried to that church, the church of St. Matthew the Apostle. The same day a miracle occurred; a man's arm, crippled beyond use, was completely restored.

In June 1798, Napoleon and his army entered Rome and leveled St. Matthew and the picture disappeared. For sixty-four years it remained hidden, almost forgotten, until ... one day at recreation, in the Redemptorist house in Rome, one of the Fathers mentioned having read, in an old tome, that their present church, San Alfonso, was built on the ruins of St. Matthew's, where once was enshrined a miraculous picture: Our Mother of Perpetual Help. The name startled Father Michael Marchi who as a young alttar boy had seen the image at Santa Maria in Posterula. On January 19, 1866, after Pope Pius IX had been told the story, the miraculous picture was brought once more to the site of its former glory, the church between the two basilicas, now that of San Alfonso. Three months later, it was solemnly enshrined and was crowned on June 23, 1867.



Vinski Vrh (Crotia)

Title: Our Lady of Bistrica, Queen of Croatia (miraculous statue)

The statue of late Gothic design is the work of an anonymous artist. The statue was first placed in the ancient shrine in Vinski Vrh in 1499. When the Turks advanced on the town, the frightened villagers buried the statue in Marija Bistrica for safekeeping. In 1588 it was rediscovered and given a place of honor. After a short time, it was then walled into the church and discovered for the second time in 1685. The statue is the beloved symbol of the Croation people and is revered as Queen of Croatia. She is considered a Black Madonna, and in 1923 the church was designated a minor basilica. It was also during this year that the Archbishop of Zagreb placed golden crowns upon the heads of the Madonna & Child. The Shrine of Our Lady of Bistrica honored on October 3, 1998, when Pope John Paul II visited the Shrine.


facebooktwitterrssyoutube Contact The Miracle Hunter





© Copyright 2015,
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy > Legal > is the best resource for miracles on the web. The site includes approval lists, visionary biographies, detailed apparition summaries, messages, official Church statements and a photo gallery.