The Miracle Hunter  
   
HOME MIRACLES DISCERNMENT BOOKS RADIO TV SOCIAL CONTACT
 
   
 

Miraculous Icons (1500 - 1599 A.D.)

History
40 - 999 1400 - 1499
1000 - 1099 1500 - 1599
1100 - 1199 1600 - 1699
1200 - 1299 1700 - 1799
1300 - 1399 1800 - 1899


1500

Dominican Republic

Title: Our Lady of Altagracia (statue) brought from Spain by Alfonso and Antonio Trejo

The Dominican Republic, where the evangelization of the New World began, is under the protection of the Virgin under two titles: Our Lady of Mercy, the principal patroness who was so proclaimed in 1616 during the Spanish colonial rule, and the Virgin of Altagracia, Protector and Queen of the hearts of the Dominicans. "Tatica from Higuey," as the natives of Quisqueya fondly refer to her, has her story and legend. There are historic documents that prove that in 1502, in the island of Santo Domingo, the Most Blessed Virgin was honored under the title of our Lady of la Altagracia, whose portrait had been brought from Spain by Alfonso and Antonio Trejo, brothers who were among the first European settlers of the island. When the brothers moved to the city of Higuey, they took the image with them. Later they offered it to the parish church so that everyone could venerate it. The first shrine was completed in 1572, and in 1971 the present Basilica was consecrated.

Popular piety has it that the devout daughter of a rich merchant had asked him to bring her a portrait of Our Lady of Altagracia from Santo Domingo. The father tried to get it for her, but with no success. Neither clergymen nor tradesmen had ever heard that Marian title.

Back at Higuey, the merchant decided to stay overnight at a friend's house. After dinner, feeling sorry for his daughter's disappointment when he should arrive empty-handed, he described to those present his unsuccessful search. As he spoke, an old man with a long beard, who was passing by, took out of his knapsack a rolled up painting and gave it to the merchant saying, "This is what you are looking for." It was the Virgin of Altagracia. At day break the old man had disappeared.

The portrait of Our Lady of Altagracia is thirty-three centimeters wide by forty-five high. Expert opinion has it that it is a primitive work of the Spanish school, painted towards the end of the fifteenth or beginning of the sixteenth century. The painting, which depicts a Nativity scene, was restored successfully in Spain in 1978, and its original beauty and color can now be appreciated. The rigor of time, candles' smoke and rubbing by the hands of the devotees had so altered the surface of the portrait that it had become nearly unrecognizable.

The scene of Jesus' birth is painted on a fine cloth. The Virgin, lovely and serene, occupies the center of the picture; she is looking with tenderness at the child who lies nearly naked on the straw of the manger. A blue cloak sprinkled with stars envelops her and a white scapular closes her garments in front.

Maria of Altagracia wears the colors of the Dominican flag; anticipating in this manner the national identity. A radiant crown and twelve stars frame her head which now has a crown on it. The frame which holds the painting is probably the most refined example of Dominican gold work. This marvel made of gold, precious stones and enamel, is the work of an unknown eighteenth century artist. Possibly he used the jewels that the Virgin's devotees gratefully offered her.

The image of Our Lady of Altagracia had the privilege of being crowned twice: on August 15, 1922 - during the pontificate of Pius XI - and by Pope John Paul II, who on January 25, 1979, during his visit to Santo Domingo, personally crowned the image with a golden silver tiara, his personal gift to the Virgin, the first evangelizer of the Americas.

Source: http://campus.udayton.edu/mary/resources/engthree.html#dom

1512

KRAKOW (POLAND)

Miraculous painting

Seven lights suddenly appeared around an old painting of the Madonna placed outside the church of the Carmelites. After a fire in the convent, the miraculous painting was found intact. In addition, each time they wanted to restore it, the painting shed the new colors. In 1634, the colors and facial features of the Madonna were seen changing. This portrait is popularly known as a "miraculous icon."

Source: Hierzenberger 1996 p 116

Feb 28, 1522

Treviglio, Italy

Title: Madonna delle Lacrime (Miraculous image)

The Shrine of Our Lady of Tears is the sanctuary of Treviglio dedicated to Our Lady of Tears that, according to legend, 28 February 1522 saved, with its prodigious tears, the city from destruction by the French troops, led by General Odet de Foix , offended by the insults of some unwary citizens secure the imperial support.

The sanctuary, the only one in the city, reminds all the miraculous events which occurred in the church of the convent of the Augustinian and the deposition of the ' helmet and sword by the general, particularly devoted to the cult of Mary, immediately imitated by his soldiers. The sanctuary has been progressively widened and enriched with different styles which continue from 1600 to the present day.

Source: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santuario_della_Madonna_delle_Lacrime_(Treviglio)

1528

Maria-Rickenbach (SWITZERLAND)

Visionary: Von Buren Zumbúel of Nidwalden (farm worker)

Miraculous Statue

Von Buren Zumbúel of Nidwalden, a farm worker, rescued a a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary from Protestant Reformers. He took her home first and then, in summer, put it in the hollow of a maple tree on the high pastures. Dedicated his daily prayers and showed his devotion. Come the fall, the laborer, who was driving cattle to the valley, he wanted to take the statue itself, but to his amazement had to find that it is impossible to remove it from its place. Realizing the impossibility of the situation and how unusual this phenomenon was, the man decided to seek the advice of a priest. The cleric, seeing it as a symbol of the will of Our Lady to provide her graces there, advised him to build a chapel on the mountain of Nidwalden. Even today directed the pilgrimage to Maria-Rickenbach remains very active.

Source: Source: Hierzenberger 1996 p 118

1527

Frascati (Italy)

Title: Our Lady of Capocroce (miraculous image)
Witnesses: the soliders of Charles III

The church in the little town of Frascati bears engraved on its facade the appropriate motto: Tu nos ab hoste protege. (Do Thou protect us from the enemy). The miraculous picture of Our Lady of Capocroce is Frascati’s greatest treasure, but the early history of this picture in unknown. The soldiers of Charles III, Duke of Bourbon, ravaged the Eternal City, and set off to Frascati, 15 miles away. Their approach was visible from afar to the inhabitants of this mountain city, and preparations were made for defense, while the women and children fled to the church to beg Our Lady’s help. But just as the army of mercenaries arrived within sight of the vineyard wall, whereon the picture at that time was, the lips of the painted Virgin opened, and a voice of irresistible majesty spoke: "Back, soldiers! This land is Mine!" The effect was instantaneous; the soldiers turned and fled in confusion, with frightened shrieks of "Back! Back!" Frequently during succeeding centuries, Our Lady has shown Her maternal protection toward Frascati, and on one occasion the town was entirely preserved from the cholera which devastated the neighborhood. After the miraculous deliverance of 1527, a chapel was built, and the picture placed therein.

Source: www.salvemariaregina.info

1531

Guadalupe (Mexico)

Title: Our Lady of Guadalupe
Visionary: St. Juan Diego


Mary proclaimed herself "the Mother of the true God who gives life" and left her image permanently upon the tilma of Juan Diego, a recent convert to Christianity.

More about this apparition >>

1534

Gibbilmanna, diocese of Palermo, Sicily (Italy)

Title: Maria SS. di Gibbilmanna (Our Lady of Gibbilmanna) - miraculous statue

On Easter Sunday (April 5) 1534 a boat carrying the statue took refuge from a storm near the village of Castello di Roccella. Legend has it that Mary appeared to a Capuchin friar who lived in Gibilmanna, telling him to fetch the statue and build a shrine. The statue was loaded onto a wagon pulled by oxen. At a certain point the oxen refused to move any further. At this spot a shrine was erected for Mary.

http://allaboutmary.tumblr.com/

1535

Lima (Peru)

Title: Our Lady of Mercy (statue)
Feast Day: September 24

Devotion to the Virgin of Mercy dates back to the time of the founding of Lima. It is known that the Mercederian friars, who came to Peru with the conquerors, had already built their primitive convent chapel around 1535. This chapel served as Lima's first parish until the construction of the Main Church in 1540. The Mercederians not only evangelized the region, but they also participated in the city's development, building beautiful churches that have been preserved as a valuable cultural and religious patrimony.

With these friars came their celestial patroness, the Virgin of Mercy, a Marian title of the thirteenth century. Tradition has it that around 1218, St. Peter Nolasco and James I, King of Aragon and Catalonia, experienced separately a vision of the Most Holy Virgin who asked them to found a religious order dedicated to rescuing the many Christian captives held by the Moslems. This Order of Our Lady of Mercy, approved as a military order in 1235 by Pope Gregory IX, was able to liberate thousands of Christian prisoners, and later became dedicated to teaching and social work. The Mercederian friars' habit imitates the garments worn by the Virgin when she appeared to the founder of the order. The image of the Virgin of Mercy is dressed all in white: over her long tunic she wears a scapular with the shield of the order imprinted breast high. A cloak covers her shoulders and her long hair is veiled by a fine lace mantilla. Some images have her standing, with the child in her arms, and others with her arms extended showing a royal scepter in her right hand and in the left some open chains, a symbol of liberation. Such is the appearance of the beautiful image venerated in the Basilica of Mercy in the capital of Peru. It was enthroned at the beginning of the XVII century and has been considered the patroness of the capital. In 1730 she was proclaimed "Patroness of the Peruvian Lands" and in 1823 "Patroness of the Armies of the Republic." On the first centennial of the nation's independence, the image was solemnly crowned and received the title of "Grand Marshall of Peru," on September 24, 1921, Feast of Our Lady of Mercy, since then declared a national holiday, when every year the army renders homage to her high military rank.

The image carries numerous decorations granted by the Republic of Peru, its governors and national institutions. In 1970 the town council of Lima gave her the "Keys of the City," and in 1971 the president of the Republic conferred on her the Great Peruvian Cross of Naval Merit, gestures which evidence the affection and devotion of Peru to Our Lady of Mercy, that many consider their national patroness.

Source: http://campus.udayton.edu/mary/resources/engsix.html#per

1541

Ocotlan (Mexico)

Title: Our Lady of Ocotlan
Visionary: Juan Diego Bernardino

A young native Tlaxcalan man named Juan Diego Bernardino was going to draw water from a river believed at the time to have healing properties. Our Lady appeared to him and lead him to a special spring of water. She promised him that an image of herself could be found within a tree. The Franciscans discovered the image and placed it in the San Lorenzo monastery.

More about this apparition >>

1541

Zapopan (Mexico)

Title: Our Lady of Zapopan (miraculous statue)
Feast Day: October 12

Brought to Zapopan by Father Antonio de Segovia in 1541 to a conquered territory called New Galicia, the "Little Virgin", less than fourteen inches high, according to legend emitted rays of light as he preached. "The Little Virgin" was at once installed in a place of honor at the Zapopan Church of the Franciscans which was later replaced by the present basilica.

Source: salvemariaregina.info

September 6, 1553

Dongo, Como (Italy)

Title: Our Lady of Tears (SANTA MARIA DELLE LACRIME) - miraclous image
Witness: Maria de 'Matti and many townspeople

I n the evening, the image is seen oozing a tear from her right eye. A tear that is followed by others, noticed by some passersby who, filled with wonder, acclaim a miracle. The first to realizing it and to promulgate the news is a certain Maria de 'Matti, and she runs to notify the parish priest, Fr Bernardo Bonizio who placed a cup under the picture to collect the tears. The prodigious event is subject to regular review and canonical process established by the Bishop of Como Msgr. Philip Archinti, who calls eyewitnesses who testify under oath the truth of their statements. The devotion to Our Lady crying propagates in an extraordinary way. On the side of the lake the faithful flock to implore graces and protection. From the day of tearing the Virgin River is called Our Lady of the Miracle, and later Our Lady of Tears.

More about this miraculous image >

1550

KRAKOW (POLAND)

A painting of the Mother of God, which was hung outside the church of the Augustinian hermits, suddenly lit up in a bright heavenly light and a song and angelic harmony could be heard. When in 1550 the monastery was burned down, the painting remained miraculously intact. In 1621, a miraculous healing occured in front of this image of Virgin Mary and from that moment began the arrival of the pilgrims.

Source: Hierzenberger 1996 p 128

1555

Chiquinquira (Columbia)

Title: Our Lady of the Rosary of Chiquinquirá (Image)
Feast Day: July 9th

Alonso de Narvaez, a Spanish painter, did a portrait of the Virgin of the Rosary on a rustic cloth woven by Indians. To paint in tempera he used pigments taken from the soil and herb and flower juices of the region. Since the cloth was nearly square (forty-four inches high and fourty-nine inches wide), to fill in the space the artist added next to the Virgin the figures of St. Anthony of Padua and St. Andrew, apostle. These were the patron saints respectively of the Spanish colonist who had commissioned the painting and the monk who had ordered it.

In 1562 the portrait was placed in a chapel with a straw roof that leaked, and in a short time the humidity, air and sun, had so damaged the painting that it was impossible to recognize what it was. In 1577 the damaged painting was moved to Chiquinquirá and left abandoned in a room that had formerly been the family oratory. Eight years later, Maria Ramos, a pious woman from Seville, cleaned and straightened out the modest chapel and placed in it the faded canvas that had once had Mary's image. Tradition has it that the prodigy took place on Friday, December 26, 1586. The image which this woman had so desired to contemplate stood out again, having recovered its colors and brightness. The instantaneous process of restoration gradually closed the scratches and holes in the cloth, overlaying them with color and light.

The Virgin of the Rosary in the center of the painting is about a meter high; she is looking towards the left as if to call attention to the nearly naked Child in her arms. The image has a serene countenance with a delicate smile which radiates sweetness. Both her face and the Child's are light colored. The Child has a little brightly-colored bird tied to his thumb and a small rosary hangs from his left hand. Our Lady leans over a half moon in a position suggesting that she is about to start walking. A white toque covers her head and her rose colored robe is covered by a sky blue cape. With the little finger of her left hand she holds a rosary which hangs in front of her, and in her right hand she has a queenly scepter.

The painting still shows traces of its former damage; the figures seem vague, but at a distance they acquire relief and color.

For three hundred years the painting of the Virgin of the Rosary of Chiquinquirá was unprotected, and thousands of pious objects were touched annually against the frail cotton cloth, some times with rods or canes in order to reach it, which should have destroyed it. Since 1897 a thick glass protects the picture from severe weather conditions and the pilgrims' fervent excesses.

Pius VII declared Our Lady of Chiquinquirá patroness of Colombia and granted her her own liturgy. "La Chinita," as her people call her, was canonically crowned in 1915, and in 1927 her sanctuary was declared a Basilica.

Source: http://campus.udayton.edu/mary/resources/engtwo.html

1556

Krasna Horka (SLOVAKIA)

Miraculous Image

Rosenau is located not far from a castle in the village of Krasna Horka ("The Beautiful Mountain"). The church of the castle is dedicated to the Mother of God and in it there is a painting of the Blessed Virgin Mary. During the wars of the Reformation, the painting was thrown into the fire three times in 1556 without reporting any burn. Since then, a devotion surrounds the portrait, especially since the castle became property of the Andrassy family. In 1791, the painting was placed in a precious golden frame. The chronicle of the time shows evidence of many healings and answered prayers before this image of the Madonna.

Source: Hierzenberger p 129

1556

Copacabana (Bolivia)

Title: Our Lady of Copacabana (statue)
Feast Day: August 5

Where it is part of Bolivia, the peninsula of Copacabana penetrates Lake Titicaca near the islands of the Sun and Moon, sacred sites of the Incas. It is here, at 4800 meters above sea level, that devotion to the "Most Blessed Virgin de la Candelaria, Our Lady of Copacabana," originated.

The figure, made of plaster and fiber from the maguey tree, is completely covered with gold leaf, except for the face and hands; the garments reproduce the colors and dress of an Inca princess. The original shape is permanently hidden by rich robes and cloaks, and the carved hair has been covered by a wig. The image of the Virgin measures over four feet, and her soft expression - and that of the Child she holds as if it were about to fall - recall the features of the inhabitants of the region. The statue is the work of Francisco Tito Yupanqui, a descendant of the Inca Huayna Capac. The first efforts of this inexperienced sculptor were rejected, but finally his love and perseverance produced this image of the Virgin which was humbly enthroned in a poor adobe church on February 21, 1583, making it one of the oldest Marian sanctuaries in the Americas. The present temple dates from 1805, and the image was crowned during Pius XI's pontificate. Over the centuries the image was showered with valuable jewels and the church with treasures which were later looted by presidents, dictators and generals. Presently the image, which the quechua and aimara Indians call La Coyeta, has rich jewels on her neck, hands and ears, the gifts of her devotees. In her right hand she holds a straw basket and a baton, the gift and souvenir of the visit of the viceroy of Peru in 1669.

The original image never leaves the sanctuary, which became a basilica in 1949; a copy is used for processions. At first the feast of the beloved patroness was celebrated on February 2, [formerly] the Purification of Mary, and later it was transferred to August 5 with its own liturgy and great popular celebration.

Source: http://campus.udayton.edu/mary/resources/engone.html#arg

1557

Guanajuato (Mexico)

Title: Our Lady of Guanajuato (statue)

The statue of the Our Lady of Guanajuato there was given to residents of then-New Spain in the mid 1500s by Spain's King Phillip II. Historic accounts report that the statue, originally in Granada, Spain, was hidden in a damp cave when the Moors invaded Spain in the early 700s. It remained there for more than 850 years without suffering any damage or deterioration -- and has been the image of the Patroness of Guanajuato for more than 450 years. Our Lady of Guanajuato has been credited with numerous miracles since arriving in central Mexico in the 16th century.

Source: www.zenit.org/article-34438?l=english

1560

Adlwang (AUSTRIA)

Painting

The portrait of the Madonna, which was located in the church of Adlwang in Austria during the wars of the Reformation, was snatched from her seat and was believed by Protestants destroyed. Much later, the portrait was found by a mysterious blue light that passed through the side window of the Gothic church. In fact, the picture of Mary, believed to be destroyed, was left under a big anthill on the floor of the church. The ants left the church only when the painting was restored and put back on the wall.

Source: Hierzenberger, 1993, 132

1560

El Viejo (Nicaragua)

Title: Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception of El Viejo (statue brought by Fray Pedro de Zepeda y Ahumada, brother of Teresa of Avila)

Feast Day: December 8

The small village of "El Viejo" clustered around a Franciscan mission of the early colonial period, is very near the Pacific coast. The Sanctuary of Our Lady under the title of the Immaculate Conception of El Viejo, is located in this village of far western Nicaragua. Although there is no historic evidence of it, it is said that the image, which has been venerated there since the sixteenth century, was brought to America by a relative of St. Therese of Avila, whose last name was Cepeda. Some have even maintained that it was the saint's brother, Rodrigo de Cepeda Ahumada, but there is no proof of this.

Tradition holds that St. Therese of Jesus gave this image to her relative, who took it with him everywhere. He arrived with it in Central America, landing at "Realejo," which was then the most important port of Nicaragua. Soon he moved to the Franciscan mission in search of a healthier climate. A room in his house became an oratory, where the neighbors went attracted by the beautiful expression of the Immaculate Virgin's face. When Cepeda received orders to transfer to Peru, he tried to take the image of the Immaculata with him, but the move kept getting postponed time and time again because of bad weather; until he realized it was God's will that he give up his beloved image and leave it among the people who had learned to love her so quickly. The Virgin remained forever in Nicaragua.

The image of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception of El Viejo is a handsome woodcarving measuring approximately thirty-three inches. She is, dressed in beautiful robes which are changed often. Her sweet face is dark colored, and she is looking down modestly. Her hands are folded on her breast as if interceding for her children. The carving is kept in a silver reliquary which safeguards her and is usually veiled by a curtain that is opened when the faithful gather to venerate her.

There is a unique feature of the devotion to Our Lady of El Viejo: the sanctuary has a valuable collection of silver objects of different kinds, given to the image in gratitude for favors received. Each year, on December 6, these objects are taken out to the public plaza where the people congregate to clean and polish all the silver pieces; this is an annual event and not a single valuable article of the Virgin's treasure has ever been lost. This popular ceremony is known as "The Washing of the Silver."

For Nicaraguans, devotion to the Immaculate Conception is something cherished and deeply rooted. The traditional image of the Immaculate is always present in Catholic homes and churches, and the December 8 feast is a national event. On the eve of December 8, the famous Griterla (shouting) takes place. The families put up splendid altars in the homes that can be seen from outside. The people look inside shouting: "Who is the cause of our joy?" and the residents of the house respond, "Mary's Conception," then the visitors are treated to sweets and typical foods. It is the occasion for great festivities nationwide, with music, singing and dancing while waiting for the coming of the feast day of the patroness of the people of Nicaragua.

Source: http://campus.udayton.edu/mary/resources/engfive.html#nic

May 19, 1571

Manila (Phillipines)

Title: Nuestra Senora De Guia (Our Lady of Guidance) - Miraculous statue
Visionary: sailors
Feast day: January 10

One of the sailors to land on the island of Luzon in 1570, while walking in the woods near the native settlement of Manila, came upon a religious ceremony held by the Natives. They were honoring an image of the Mother of God, a statue on a rough pedestal. The natives told the Spanish that the statue had the power to make their petitions come true, and indeed, miracles were performed. Since nothing of the origin could be learned, the sailors determined to name the statue by some “Lady Title”; the lot fell upon “Our Lady of Guidance”; everyone agreed she had guided them on their dangerous journey.

The statue of Our Lady of Guidance was canonically crowned in the year 1955 by the Papal Nuncio to the Philippine Islands

Source: http://www.roman-catholic-saints.com

July 8, 1579

Kazan (Russia)

Title: Our Lady of Kazan
Visionary: Matrona (8)

According to local tradition a girl in 1579 had a vision of Mary. The Holy Virgin informed her of the existence of an ancient icon buried under the rubble of a burning house. In fact, following the directions of Mary, the icon was miraculously found intact and shining brightly colored. It was copied and spread.

1586

Quinche (Ecuador)

Title: Our Lady of Quinche (statue carved by Don Diego de Robles)

Our Lady of the Presentation of Quinche is a handsome wood sculpture carved in the sixteenth century by Don Diego de Robles, an extraordinary artist who is also credited with other popular and venerated images of Mary. History tells us that those who had ordered the image couldn't or wouldn't pay the sculptor for it, and he traded it to the oyacachi Indians for some large cedar boards he needed.

At a later time, popular fancy enriched the facts with the legend that the Virgin had appeared earlier to the Indians in a cave and had promised to deliver them from the dangerous bears which devoured the children.

The Indian chiefs were astonished when they saw Diego Robles arrive carrying the image of the Virgin, whom they recognized as having the same features as the Lady who had appeared to them in the cave and had spoken to them.

The statue remained under the care of the Indians fifteen years, when the bishop of the place ordered it moved to the village of Quinche from which it finally took its name in 1604.

The image is a fine carving in cedarwood, measuring sixty-two centimeters in height. The handsome sculpture is hidden by large brocade garments, covered with jewels and embroidered with gold and silver threads, which only allow the serene dark face to be seen. The Virgin holds a scepter in her right hand and with the left hand she holds the Child, who lifts a hand in blessing and in the other hand displays a gold globe crowned with a cross.

The pedestal at her feet and the large half moon, both of pure silver, and the heavy crowns made of gold and precious stones which adorn the heads of Jesus and Mary, evidence the generosity of the people of Ecuador who like to see their patroness resplendent, dressed with the best finery.

The face of the Child Jesus has features resembling those of the mestizo children of those mountains. Mestizo is also the color of the mother, synthesis of the Inca and Spanish souls. She has a delicate oval face with a slender nose, thin lips and a small mouth; her slanted eyes and her sad gaze with half closed eyelids give her a unique gentleness. This is why she is so popular in Ecuador, specially among the Indians who affectionately refer to their protector in heaven as "La Pequehita" (the little one).

There are an amazing number of songs in honor of the Virgin of Quinche, in "Quechua," "Jibaro," and many other dialects of the region as well as in Spanish; many have been sung for three hundred and even four hundred years.

The image was crowned in 1943 and her feast is celebrated each year on November 21. The present shrine was declared a National Sanctuary in 1985.

Source: http://campus.udayton.edu/mary/resources/engthree.html#ecu

 

Chiquinquirra (Columbia)

Title: Our Lady of Chiquinquirra (Image)

This place of pilgrimage is still very active. The origin of this popular pilgrimage back to the following tradition: an unknown artist, moved with compassion for a farmer who urged him to paint a portrait of the Madonna, drew a wonderful portrait of Mary. After a while the colors are faded and the icon was placed in the attic from the peasant. A woman accidentally saw it and took it to hang on a wall of his house. Come Christmas time, the icon began to shine a wonderful light and colors became more alive to radiating freshness and radiance. Still remain the same.

1592

Guatemala

Title: The Virgin of the Rosary, 'Queen of Guatemala' (statue)

The image of Our Lady of the Rosary, the work of unknown artists, was finished in 1592. Commissioned by Friar Lopez de Montoya, a Dominican priest, the statue was made completely of pure silver, but her robes and pedestal are not visible, having been covered by elaborate garments and ornaments.

Her devotees claim that the coloring of her beautiful face changes from bright pink to a much more faded shade whenever there is a conflict or some national misfortune is imminent. The image has a large rosary in her right hand and with her left one she holds the Child who seems to be trying to free himself from her embrace.

There is a popular tradition that the Virgin Mary went out to travel through America and that the Child fell asleep when they reached Guatemala, which is why she stayed there. In 1821 the leaders of the independence movement proclaimed her Patroness of the new nation, and they took an oath before her image that they would not rest until they freed Guatemala.

The Virgin of the Rosary was solemnly declared 'Queen of Guatemala' in 1833 and was crowned canonically on January 26, 1934 in a huge ceremony in the principal plaza of Guatemala in front of the cathedral. The ceremony had to be held in the open because there was no church large enough to hold the multitude that had gathered.

The crown which Archbishop Luis Durou placed on the head of the blessed image is a valuable silver jewel with which the people of Guatemala wanted to show their devotion and enthusiasm for their patroness. The artists who made it used one-hundred-and-twenty-one emeralds, forty-four diamonds, eighty pearls, five amethysts, a gold rose, etc. The church and convent of St. Dominic, current shrine of the Virgin of the Rosary, was begun in 1788 and completed in 1808. October, the month dedicated to the rosary, is the most popular and important religious happening for the Guatemalan people and nation.

The entire month is occasion for celebration, feasting, and constant pilgrimages to the sanctuary of the Virgin of the Rosary.

1594

Quito (Ecuador)

Title: Our Lady of Good Success
Visionary: Mother Mariana de Jesus Torres

Our Lady of Good Success appeared to Spanish-born Mother Mariana de Jesus Torres at her Conceptionist Royal Convent in Quito, Ecuador. She requested that a statue be made in her likeness and warned of diminishing faith and vocations in the 20th century.

(Some sources put first apparition date at 1634)

More about this apparition >>

 

MESAGNE (Apulia)

Bleeding image

An old picture of the Blessed Virgin Mary suddenly had tears of blood, the numerous people who were present witnessed the event. No other details received.

April 29, 1596

Reggio Emilia (Italy)

Title: Beata Vergine della Ghiara (painting)
Visionary: Marchino

In 1569 a devoted citizen of Reggio, Emilian, Ludovico Pratissoli, made ??by the famous painter Lelio Orsi perform a drawing depicting the Virgin and Child. In fact, on the wall of the garden of the Fathers of the Servants of Mary, present in Reggio Emilia since 1313, was an old picture - which has become illegible - depicting the Blessed Virgin. In 1573 the same Pratissoli instructed the painter Giovanni Bianchi cheese, Bertone said, to translate the design Orsi fresco on the Canton de 'Servi, that' on the wall of the garden. Today a memory marble commemorates the place where the painting was located, since this was solemnly translated in the church. In 1595 Julia Tagliavini obtained custody of the Image became frequent destination of devotees in the meantime had been resected from the wall and carried by a small chapel built with the offerings of the faithful.

On April 29, 1596 took place the First Miracle: the intercession of the Blessed Virgin, before whose image was praying, a young seventeen year old named Marchino, a native of Castelnuovo ne 'Monti - location' Reggiano Apennines - dumb from birth, obtained the word. The miraculous event caused a remarkable concurrence of the faithful. They also began the pilgrimages of the brotherhoods.

Bishop Claudio Rangoni instructed the canonical process with care, and the deeds were sent to Pope Clement VIII, who approved the miracle, as appears from a letter of July 29, 1596 the Sacred Congregation of Rites, in which were also authorized pilgrimages.

Source: http://www.mariadinazareth.it

More about this apparition >

May 5, 1596

Fivizzano (Italy)

Title: Blessed Virgin of the Adoration
Visionary:
Margherita "La Caughliana"

Fivizzano, a town on the border of Tuscany and of the province of Massa Carrara, lies on a fertile hill that descends the Tuscan Emilian Apennines on the national road to the Passo del Cerreto, at Reggio Emilia. Its origin dates back to a settlement before the Ligurian-Etruscan survives the Samnite invasion and later joins a Roman colony. Through the centuries has different rules and principles of the Marquesas that make it an important stronghold. From 1478 passes under the dominion of Florence that holds it as a summer residence, Cosimo I de 'Medici the surrounding solid walls. It then passes under the government of Modena until the unification of Italy, as a bulwark of security with its walls and its castles. Today it is a charming resort town, partly rebuilt in a modern style, after the terrible earthquake of 1920 that devastated.

In this "pearl lost in the mountains" blooms since 1596 a great devotion to Our Lady rooted in the Shrine of Our Lady of Adoration, who flock to the people of Lunigiana.

A humble woman named Margaret, said Caugliana from the country of origin of the husband, lives his simple and ordinary life of mother and family of the bride, when he suddenly fell ill. It is thought to one of those usual diseases for which we soon recovers, but spend the days, weeks and Margaret does not improve. Doctors do not know how to determine the nature of sickness, the care does not lead to nothing. The sick woman lying motionless in his bed with no hope of regaining his strength and to be able to raise. The story raises profound piety, wherever you talk to her, of his unhappy case, and began a long pilgrimage of people who come to greet and comfort the sick poor. Then, gradually takes over addiction and indifference. The hope of healing moves away, the visits are becoming less frequent. Just some gossip of the neighborhood, and some are fond acquaintance to keep her company and to lend some service. The world continues its pace of life and Margarita is always present to itself, conscious of his pain and his unhappy state. From the bed of his sufferings prays and hopes.

After eighteen years of this illness and loneliness, reaches the ears of the news that Margaret in Reggio Emilia, in a deserted town, called "The Ghiara," an Image of the Virgin Mary who is venerated with pantry and extraordinary favors. The invalid's confidence revives, it is also certain that Our Lady will make her grace. From that moment comes to life and grows into her confidence. In this state of mind, one day hears and sees to ask permission to open the door is Nicola Vaseschi, neighbor and friend, that having to carry on business in Reggio, went to ask for more politeness than conviction, if Margherita I need something. The sick woman sees in this visit to the inspiration of heaven, and immediately answers: "The great thing, you will travel a little discomfort. Bring an Image of the Virgin of Ghiara. " It does not say anything, but it is recommended that Nicholas did not forget, and live in hope. "Do you think, Daisy! - Answered Nicholas - Take into account you already have the picture with you."

A few days later, precisely May 5, 1596, Vaseschi returns, and Margaret first asks: "And the Picture? '. The invalid anxiety, the poor man understands the seriousness of his forgetfulness, and confused, his head lowered responds with a faint voice, "Margaret, I forgot." The sick woman who in the heat of desire at the sight of Vaseschi it is raised slightly, falling on the pillows, her eyes fill with tears, and with a gesture of invocation, looks to the sky. Wonder! To the beam of the ceiling hangs an Image of the Virgin Mary, quite big: the image so desired.'s The Madonna della Ghiara, sweet and gentle in the act of worshiping the Son, with pretty flowers at his feet. Margaret cries and feel a new vitality in his members; suddenly returned to the elasticity of the movements. It does bring his clothes, rushed out of bed and on his knees, with his arms outstretched to the Image, exclaims, "I am healed, I am healed." The tears flow from his eyes heavy. After eighteen years of immobility and disease, it is now out of bed, healthy and in force, in front Image miraculously appeared. Also she repeats the miracle of Marchino , the dumb guy, that apparition of Our Lady of Ghiara, a few kilometers away, six days before, on April 29 of that year, he regained the word.

The news came out in a heartbeat and people come. In that humble room, a witness for so many years of pain the poor sick, now healed, begins the first fervent veneration of that Image, which reaches up to the present day. Our Lady called by the inhabitants of Fivizzano "the Madonna di Reggio" is liturgically venerated under the title of "Our Lady of Adoration," the attitude of adoration with which Mary is addressed to the Son. Popular devotion is widespread and deeply felt, and every house has its own image, placed on the front and in the rooms, and up to this generation brides led engraved in the ring double the image of "Our Lady of Adoration." (2 ) Don Mario Morra SDB (from the magazine "Mary Help of Christians" of the homonymous sanctuary of Turin) 1 Anonymous, History of the miraculous image of the Blessed Virgin Mary under the title of Adoration which is venerated in the church of the illustrious Provost Fivizzano of which is the principal patron (Parma, Carmignani 1802). 2 Ezio Pandiani, The miraculous apparition. History of the miraculous image of the Blessed Virgin Adoration (Fivizzano, Conti 1966).

Source: http
://www.mariadinazareth.it/apparizione fivizzano.htm

 
   
facebooktwitterrssyoutube Contact The Miracle Hunter
MIRACLES DISCERNMENT

BOOKS

RADIO

TV

SOCIAL

CONTACT
s
© Copyright 2015, MiracleHunter.com
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy > Legal >

MiracleHunter.com is the best resource for miracles on the web. The site includes approval lists, visionary biographies, detailed apparition summaries, messages, official Church statements and a photo gallery.